Thursday, April 16, 2015

On Carcosa

So I wrapped up Penumbra, but I don't feel like I did it very well. It had been a while without a full session, and when it came time to prep, nothing was coming to me. However, I've discovered the answer.

Dungeon World.
I bought Dungeon World recently, and it is a fantastic game. It offers much more creative freedom than d&d, and will hopefully get my group to be more engrossed in the game. I've ran a few small sessions with it before, and have been consistently pleased by how they turned out, so, it's coming to my home game table. It's the kind of game where it's a better idea to come to the first session without a plot planned out, but this time, I have a bit of framework I'd like to start it off with.

You see, my game will be taking a few pages from the Cthulhu Mythos. Now, I'm not running a Call of Cthulhu investigative game (I don't think that kind of game is really up my group's alley), I will take some of it's unearthly horrors. Specifically, Carcosa.

Before the first session begins, each of the characters will have a dream. In the dream, a figure will appear, in tattered yellow robes. They lead the characters through an unearthly vista, or appear to them on a stage, then chant a strange poem.

Along the shore the cloud waves break,
The twin suns sink behind the lake,
The shadows lengthen

In Carcosa.

Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is

Lost Carcosa.

Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

Song of my soul, my voice is dead,
Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed
Shall dry and die in

Lost Carcosa.



No comments:

Post a Comment